Monday, October 29, 2007

Just a pit stop

OK, so this a quickie, but I think it's fitting.

I just want to rave for a minute and encourage all of those who have turned their noses up at roadside taco stands to actually give them a try.

Why, you ask? Because they're awesome! They are about eight times cheaper than a restaurant, and just as delicious. (granted, it's not what you're looking for when you're taking the in-laws out...) And the staff, though usually a one-man show, are always friendly. A couple years ago I met this great guy named Manuel who told me about how he bought his mobile cooking cart and had been making a go of it ever since (and he was only 19).

Manuel's line of several containers full of toppings and different salsa covered in tinfoil made for an excellent picture. Unfortunately, the computer I had it saved on has recently died. (sometimes I really hate technology)

Another reason why the roadside stands are so great other than the staff and the price, is the convenience. You're just driving down the road, maybe in a rush, and boom! A quick pit stop gets you food on a plate without leaving your wallet empty.

And while all of those reasons are great, I think I truly like them for the nostalgia.

When vacationing in Mexico, my diet consisted of little burritos and tamales that the same women would bring down the beach everyday. Maybe a taco here and there from a nearby stand. I think I got the most pleasure out of the sheer simplicity. The food is so cheap and easy and yet, so fresh and delicious. I couldn't ask for more.

No comments: