Monday, September 10, 2007

Top 'Dogs

The first bite was the most intimidating. After that, they got only more delicious. The bite was of a Sonoran-style hot dog, a type I only recently acquainted myself with. Also recently, I had the pleasure of trying a Chicago-style hot dog, and I'm pleased to report it was delicious as well.

Both styles have their fair share of toppings, some the same, some different. I'd have to say I rate the Chicago-style a little higher, if only for the crisp, pickle spear that gently tops each dog. But, that doesn't discount the lavish, bacon-wrapped version you get with the Sonoran. My guess is that Hispanic people are much too fiery and are filled with such a zest for life that it just carried over, and is spilling out of, their hot dogs (why not?). I believe mine came adorned with beans, sour cream, mustard, onions and tomatoes. Wow. The Chicago-style is a little less dressed, but not by much. The version I had came from a classic Chicago eatery called Portillo's, and included tomatoes, onions, relish and a pickle spear.

Now, I've always been a mustard-only gal. Not only was it mustard-only, it was also only on a Hebrew National (real hot dogs eaters know this is the way to go, although, I do succumb to the street vendors in NYC). However, I think I'll be a little more adventurous with my dog toppings from now on. I've added the link below for the restaurant where I got my Sonoran-style hot dog; It's a famous Tucson spot called El Guero Canelo.

No comments: