Sunday, September 23, 2007

On the rocks

OK, so I realize I may come across as a lush, but sue me, I’ve had a tough couple of weeks.

Recently, as I was enjoying one of my favorite types of cocktails, a margarita, I realized this is yet another one of life’s joys I have my neighbors to the South to thank for (well, tequila is the specific joy, the drink itself ... I explain that below).

Tequila, the main alcoholic component in margaritas is made from blue agave, a plant found in the desert regions of Mexico. The exact origins of a margarita, the drink, are still debated. Various sources report that in 1936, Danny Negrete invented this drink for his girlfriend, Margarita, while working at a hotel. His lady happened to like salt, hence the rimmed glass. Other sources claim Margaret Sames, a woman of wealth who threw lots of parties, created the drink at her bar and said being "close with a lot of famous hotel and restaurant people" was her reason for introducing the margarita (whatever that means).

My personal favorite out of all the sorted histories of the drink is the tale of a confused bartender. His story says that in 1942, a customer asked for a "Magnolia", but he (Francisco "Pancho" Morales) couldn't remember exactly how to make it, so he made something up, and named it "Daisy" instead, which translates to ‘Margarita’ in Spanish.

A classic recipe for margaritas is simply two parts tequila, one part cointreau (or triple sec/an orange liquor), two parts fresh lime juice and one part simple syrup (sugar water basically) In many restaurants and bars today, sweet and sour mix is substituted for lime juice and the simple syrup. They also usually offer numerous types of flavored margaritas for variety. One I’ve recently had the pleasure of tasting is called “The White House,” and served at a relatively new Tucson eatery, Blanco Tacos & Tequila. It is flavored with a vanilla liquor called Navan, and might I just say … delicioso.

Some other variations that might be worth a try are Cadillac , strawberry, prickly pear or even gummi bear if you're feeling adventurous.

No comments: